Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Nice Hair, Dale!

It's always nice to see people you know achieve some level of success.

A few months ago, my wife and I ate at Schwa, an silly-good restaurant on Ashland garnering national raves for it's innovative and quasi-experimental American cuisine with a Midwest bent. It's a tiny operation with a rather long waiting list for reservations.

Halfway through the meal, one of the chefs came out with a course - as they do - and gave an enthusiastic hello to us in the manner in which indicated that we knew him. After much searching of our silly brains trying to place him, we finally sucked it up and asked the waiter.

To my shock and dismay, we both had worked with him at a place in Iowa City for almost a year. After getting over my initial feeling of terdballness (I'm terrrible with names and apparently faces - I'm an arrogant ass), it was great to see someone we knew achieve such a level of success so quickly.

This brings us to Dale Levitski. Tonight, on Bravo, a show I've never watched, a guy I worked with and lived next to for two years in Iowa City will contend for the best foodie honor on the third season of Top Chef.

Dale started out as a line cook at the Ground Round, the place where I started my illustrious waiting career. I really only knew him through mutual drunk and stoned friends but the man knew how to cook.

I think he's bored.

Good Luck, Dale!

Read the article about his appearance in Metromix.com

No comments: