Thursday, February 8, 2007

"Beginnings are great. It's the furthest point from regret."

I'm in...this blogging thing. Why, you most likely didn't ask? Because I'm bored. With a job that demands twenty-five hours a week and a commute that is all of three minutes, where's the time? I have no children (unless you count a periodically needy dog), no stress, no work that comes home with me and a wife sent from whatever higher power exists. I'm a waiter...a 34 year-old bald waiter. Just really bald.

I expect a plethora (word that should never be used in conversation - WTSNBUIC) of things to be discussed, most likely between myself and I, with copious (WTSNBUIC) amounts of silliness, indulgences and meanderings. Let's get the perfunctory statistics out of the way:

Sports - Angels, Hawkeyes, Browns. In that order. Never met another Angels fan, know only two other Browns fans and graduated from Iowa, so I'm stuck with them.

Politics - Left-leaning and, oddly, it's getting worse with one caveat (WTSNBUIC) - I pretty much can't listen to one current Democrat spew self-righteously without feeling a little chunk come back up (when did I have mustard?).

Tech - First-generation iPod, Mac Powerbook G4 and a pre-paid T-Mobile cell (mainly because I never use it - who going to call me?). Huge DirecTV and TiVo disciple. That may be my limits, though the Sony Bravia is getting closer to becoming a reality.

Music - Who knows? Changes monthly. Beatles, of course. New music would include Arcade Fire, Ray LaMontagne and Daedelus with Supreme Beings of Leisure and Boards of Canada sprinkled in. Still finding new layers in Dear Catastrophe Waitress (Belle & Sebastian).

Movies - Same as above. New movies I've seen and liked include Tstosi, Caché, Three Times, The Intruder, Idiocracy, His Girl Friday, Seventh Seal and Out of Africa (which I watched for the first time last week, unbelievably).

Television - The Wire. Period. Done. Hands down the best show to ever air on TV. Tivoing Arrested Development on G4, I own them but I'm lazy. Friday Night Lights is the most impressive, unwatched, undiscovered show out there. Kudos to NBC for hanging in there. The Office.

Radio - I spend more time listening to radio than watching TV. Best show - Boers & Bernstein and it's not even close. Others that are great: TAL, Sound Opinions, TOTN (thank God it's back), Wait, Wait, Extension 720. Shows I have grown to hate or have grown tiresome: Prairie Home Companion, Whad'ya Know, Worldview (you REALLY would think Jerome would get better) and anything for which Mike North might be involved. What would be the word for when someone becomes a caricature of a caricature of a caricature? You have to commend the effort.

That is all. I hope to explore such culturally-relevant topics as dipshit comments by restaurant patrons, dipshit coffeehouse chatter, dipshit local news broadcasts, dipshit Cubs fans and anything else dipshit-related that primarily makes me feel superior. Input always welcomed. Thanks for reading.

No comments: