Wednesday, February 28, 2007

$2,439/month electricity bill? Now that's an 'Inconvenient Truth"!

Ha, ha, ha. At least that's what Scott said. Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Given that this report came from a rather shady little organization called the Tennessee Center for Policy Research (vague enough for you) and their site links to mostly right-wing websites and blogs, call me a skeptic.

But some facts are obvious. Gore didn't deny the amount of the bill in his response. His kilowatt usage is twenty times the national average and his usage, and here's the kicker (get to that later), actually went up in the last year.

After reading his response, something seemed a little off. His office's reference to the buying of carbon offsets to defray the cost of the carbon footprint of his home seemed fishy. Then I ran across this editorial from the Economist that says it better than my fast-fading memory of college environmental lectures ever could (you may have to watch an advertisement - do it because it's worth it).

And here's the kicker. Gore, you dope, wouldn't you think if you're going to release a major documentary about global warming, a phenomenon directly connected to man's - and particularly the United States' - rampant abuse of limited natural resources, you would care to check your own electric bill? And it went up?! And you drove a five-car motorcade consisting of two limos and a Dodge truck to the premiere that was five blocks away? In the immortal words of Gob, "C'mon!" No matter who broke the story, he deserves a beating for being this stupid.

1 comment:

mate famber said...

Hey, I can finally comment...I have yet to actually see the movie or "documenatary". It's been sitting on out tv for about a month (Netflix). It's one of those that you really want to be in the mood for. And since I'm rarely in the "hey, I'd like to watch a former Vice President tell me the Earth is doomed" kinda mood, I haven't seen it.
But, yeah. Nice job, Al.