Sunday, July 29, 2007

Making the best of a brutal situation?



I thank a guy I work with for directing me to this clip. After Sunday night's shift, I needed a diversion.

After watching Return to Paradise and Brokedown Palace on consecutive nights in the late 90s - yes, I admit it, I've seen these movies more than once - I did some research on Southeast Asian prison systems.

Here's a shock. They're brutal. But the judicial systems that lead them to the clink becomes a bit of a chess game. Knowing the system will randomly cherry-pick facts and cater to newspaper headlines, all the while trying to make a point, defendants generally bargain for the place of incarceration over relying on due process.

The location where this clip comes from is one of the better ones.

So relax. Enjoy. Know that these people have good lawyers.

No comments: